Friday 6 June 2014

Rising to the Challenge......well, most of them!

I was very lucky to have yet another weekend away, sewing with a bunch of girls who make me laugh.... a lot!
It is a weekend some have been attending annually for twenty years, I have been going for about 16 years and a few have only been once or twice and it is always lovely and always fun.
Camyr Allen is the venue. It is a beautiful old home in the Hunter Valley, and we are well looked after by our hostess, Janet Edmonds.
This is the view from the sewing room and verandah!



It has become a bit of a tradition that we set a small challenge for the group to complete each year. Last year it was my turn and I dutifully handed out teeny, weeny paper hexagons, some teeny fabric starter packs and the instructions to create something no more than 12inches square!
I was blown away by the response. The girls certainly rose to the challenge.......well most of them!
Olga did better than nothing with two quilt labels.......hhhhmmmmmm, better than nothing Miss Chris D !



Debbie was the over achiever of the group, with a gorgeous bag, pin cushion, mirror pouch and mug bag. I had definite "ensemble" envy with this one and her workmanship was superb as usual. Technically, though, she was a little over enthusiastic because this exceeded the 12" size restriction but I think we can forgive her!


Cristie, typical of her giving and generous personality, made little hexie wall plaques........FOR EVERYONE! Clever idea, clever girl.



Cathie proved, once again, she has the patience of a saint. She produced a mini quilt, made from the smallest hexies, in an array of lovely fabrics.......some were even fussy cut!!! A mini quilt stand made by her husband added the finishing touch. I wanted this one, too! Luckily I was gifted a little quilt stand, unluckily not so the little masterpiece. I will have to make my own....one day.....maybe!



The keys to the right add scale!


Alison (AKA cardygirl.blogspot.com.au) made two gorgeous pincushions in the loveliest colours. My pincushion envy was very short lived here, as I was allowed to pick and take one home. So very generous and so lovely. Thank you, I will use it everyday!



We even had projects from a few friends that couldn't make it.....a cute mug rug from Tiff and a pincushion from Elizabeth.



Then there was that one person we have to shake our heads and wag our fingers at! Diane submitted this......what she would make IF she could only find where she put the challenge a year ago!
Nice try, I say!


All in all, a challenge well met......by most!



Sewing projects appeared thick and fast as we all tried to make headway on projects that were new or a long time in the making.







We even managed to sort the next two batches of Churn Dash Swap blocks, ready for our Guild's next monthly meeting. Not even close to a chore in such a lovely setting!



Thank you Janet and thank you, my sewing buddies, for another happy, fun weekend. Let's do it all again, next year!






Happy Stitching!





Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

6 comments:

  1. It all looks like lots of fun!! Diane's submission made me laugh, at least it was creative. Alison's pincushions are as sweet as cupcakes. Lucky you getting to pick one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. a great weekend..................lots of wonderful ways to use the tiny hexies...........

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was lots of fun...and the best company!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great weekend! Fab projects!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was a great weekend, such lovy company. I felt so welcomed and my room mate was happy to chat a five am.. Always a bonus

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely weekend, and a great challenge.

    ReplyDelete